Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Baby/kid shampoo ok for kittens?

When I first got my kitten they told me wash her with baby shampoo, but for some reason I lost the bottle. So yesterday I bought some shampoo that is actually for kids but still is 'no tears' formula. Its mild and wont burn her eyes. Is that ok to use?Baby/kid shampoo ok for kittens?
Ok, it is seriously rediculous that all these people are responding saying that it's bad because cats wash themselves. Dear lord, the cat is white, people. And this person is obviously going to bathe the cat anyway, and is just trying to find out if this shampoo is just as good as any cat shampoo.


I bathe my longhaired cat once every couple weeks. It keeps her dander down, so when people who are allergic come to visit have a much more mild reaction to her. It also helps with hairballs, as well as keeping her coat as shiny and fluffy as possible. There is nothing wrong with bathing your cat, you should be getting them used to it at as young an age as possible.


As far as baby shampoo goes, I wouldn't risk it. I'm sure it would be fine, but there are tons of kitten/cat shampoos you can get at any pet supply store or order online. Baby shampoos might be fine on their fur, but may contain chemicals that are not wanted by cats. Also remember that they lick their fur, so any chemical residue will be consumed by them as they groom themselves afterwards, and cats are allergic to so many ingredients in things we don't even double guess. The cat shampoos are usually pretty cheap, generally starting at 5-7 dollars, and well worth it. At least then you will know for sure that it is safe to use, and efficent as well.


Good luck with whatever you decide!!Baby/kid shampoo ok for kittens?
As long as there is no fragrance it should be okay. Cat really shouldn't be bathed unless absolutely necessary because they clean themselves.
I, too, have a long haired cat - she's usually pretty good at cleaning herself, but once in awhile (between trips to the groomer) she needs a bath.





I use Johnson %26amp; Johnson's Baby Shampoo - the vet even suggested it. It works fine, allows the brush to go through her hair easily afterwards, and she dries within a few hours.





Ignore the people suggesting not to use regular baby shampoo or not to wash her in general. The baby shampoo is more gentle and she'll appreciate you're attempt at helping maintain her coat.





Words of advice: When bathing her, keep a towel handy and use a large sink; don't use hot water, only luke warm; rinse well - with long hair the soap tends to be a little more difficult to get out.
I just got a kitten and before I brought her home I stopped at the vet to deflea her and they told me to use a very small amount of Dawn original dish soap. At first I thought this was weird, but then I thought about the ducks from that Exxon Valdez spill in the late 80's and how it was gentle enough for them. I did it and her little kitten coat was so soft and shiny. I only used a small dab and she sat very calmly. I would go with what your vet recommends they know what is best. I have kids and I prefer Gerber aloe all in one shampoo/body wash for them, it has a nice smell. Good luck.
NO! Cats have their own special shampoo but you don't really need to bathe them they do it them selves.
I have these thick cloth-wipes that I use on my two cats. All cats bathe themselves, but it is always necessary to bathe them, either with a cat shampoo, or these easy wipes, because not all spots are reached by cats (i.e.-their backs where they are pet 99% of the time). So, if I were you, I would try getting some cat wipes from a store like Wal-mart or even a pet-store, they are only like $2-$3 and leave the kitties smelling nice and fresh without being soaking wet for the rest of the day :)
Baby shampoo works great, the no tears no tangles stuff is good. Lè„«real kids shampoo is good too, I used it on Dancer once, and she smelled like a watermelon! LOL They have different scents though....
they make special shampoo for animals...you should never use human products on them. Not sure why you are giving your cat a bath...they really don't need them like dogs do.
I asked a similar question,


alot of answers were to use Kitty wipes from Petco
Why are you washing your cat?





They do that well enough on their own as long as it's been weaned properly, they learned it from their mother.


Cats HATE water or getting wet.


They're extremely fastidious all on their own!
You can bathe your kitten if you like. No harm no foul. No tears is a great idea. Um, but your kitty is gonna put up a big fuss, until she gets used to it.
I washed my cat with baby shampoo and she got a few rashes. Don't do it!
you should get some tear free KITTEN shampoo
NO!!!





Cats bathe themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment