Monday, July 26, 2010

Can I make natural baby shampoo?

Hi,





I hope you parents have read the recent media attention to possible carcinogens tested in baby toiletries (links to sources below).





Granted these are trace amounts so small that they aren't listed on the ingredients label. But does anyone know what the cumulative effects are over time?





While the right thing to do is to petition industry and the politicians to make changes, it's going to take a long time to do.





We could buy natural baby-safe shampoos, like those from California Baby (www.californiababy.com), but they are EXPENSIVE.





So my question: does anyone know how to make homemade, natural baby-safe toiletries? Shampoo, lotion, soap, etc.





Even if you don't know how to make it, please share your opinions on natural baby-safe store-bought toiletries.





Thanks,


Roland (father to 5-month old Kenzie)





Sources:


http://www.ewg.org/report/toxic-tub/31209


http://www.SafeCosmetics.org/article.php?id=414


http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-03-12-formaldehyde_N.htmCan I make natural baby shampoo?
I make my own castile soap, it is extremely mild and natural. I use it in everything from household cleaning, shampoo, baby wipe solution, I've even brushed my teeth with it! It takes only 3 ingredients: water, lye, and olive oil. It takes me 20 minutes to make it and another 2-3 weeks for the soap to ';cure';. Google soapmaking, saponification, lye calculator, castile soap, etc... Handmade castile soap is very expensive in shops, even Dr Bonner's is $15 for 16 ounces. I make my own for about .50 cents.Can I make natural baby shampoo?
Well I have found that oatmeal in a stocking makes an excellent substitute for soap most of the time, especially in winter months, but only for a baby who doesn't get stinky like adults do.





It gets rid of dry skin and leaves your skin soft and smooth. You can also run the oatmeal filled stocking under the faucet to fill the tub up with the oatmeal-y water.





You can, of course, use it on yourself too, but it won't really replace soap permanently because it does nothing to get rid of odors. It just moisturizes.
Burt's Bees for baby and mom.





Their diaper rash cream was the only cream that didn't ';burn'; my babies (grandbabies) when they got bad rashes, although few. They have great products!
Johnsons and Johnsons Baby Shampoo...is the best out there...and there is nothing wrong with it.
I love California Baby. If you only use it once a week or less, it's not that expensive. A baby doesn't need to be shampooed any more than once a week. My baby gets shampooed far less than that!





I have friends who make their lye soap or Castile soap, but it's not tear-free. I also like Burt's Bees and JASON. I use Dr Bronner's Castile soap on my baby regularly, and I like it. I use baking soda to wash my own hair. It does not sting my eyes, but it tastes bad. It's good for scrubbing away a flaky scalp. Baking soda makes great shampoo.





It's great that you're giving up Johnson's. It's very harsh.

No comments:

Post a Comment