Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Shampoo for a baby with eczema?

What shampoo do you use for your baby with eczema? My son is almost 20 months old and I searched high and low to find something without fragrance and couldn't find anything. Then I looked at the bottle I had been using before (which came from the hospital), and saw that it had fragrance in it, too! So apparently, it isn't fragrance-free that I'm looking for... what is good to use on a baby who has had problems with eczema on the scalp in the past?? Is hypo-allergenic enough?Shampoo for a baby with eczema?
We had to use Dove without fragrance. I have to get the bar NOT the body wash as this is actually the only one that does not have a masking fragrance in it. I know its crazy but the body wash sensitive skin does have the masking fragrance to keep it from smelling bad. I also use baking soda in the bath water every now and then to soften his skin or when he has some areas come up. The best lotion I have tried is the Aquaphor by Eucerin. Its very thick but really works. They also have the Aquaphor body wash that is fragrance free.Shampoo for a baby with eczema?
dont use head and shoulders i have a sensitive scalp and it dried out my skin really bad..id use aveno shampoo. i used when my daughter had a really bad skin rash it works wonders
Hypoallergenic shampoo and soap is better for the eczema, moisturize skin with hypoallergenic lotion, trim the nails and avoid chicken skin, eggs and any foods that she is allergic with.Warm compress is good


to relieve itchiness. Apply antipruritic ointment as prescibed by the doctor.
Baby Aveeno makes soap/shampoo and lotion specifically for babies with eczema. My dermatologist suggested using Dove Soap for sensitive skin. My daughter did just fine with that. The trouble I'm having is finding a good lotion. We've tried Aquaphor (I don't know if these are the right spellings) and Eucerin and they both don't do well for her. It is frustrating I know. All the best to you and your little one!








If you do try the Aveeno look at Target. I have looked at WalMart and sometimes they have it sometimes they don't. Target always seems to have it in stock.
Earth Science Fragrance Free Shampoo. Probably the only one that really works
I use lil goat's Milk shampoo and body wash. It's made for babies with sensitive skin and tear-free.


It doesn't smell that great because it's fragrance free. However it's great on his skin. No rashes etc.
There is actually very little reason to use shampoo vs soap. A shampoo is basically just detergent, a surfactant (to make the water mix better), and is generally slightly acidic which is supposed to be better for hair. So I guess you could put a little ascorbic acid powder in your liquid soap *lol* and then it would have anti-oxidant properties aren't those all the rage in shampoo now?





I used ivory soap on my hair for awhile. The only problem with bar soap is it's annoying trying to get enough when you have long hair. But it did help with my flaky scalp (not dandruff).





Body washes can be nice on hair as they contain moisturizers. Aveeno makes a fragrance free one that has oatmeal, I've never used it though.





Also you can use hand lotion as a detangler for hair and it works as well or better than the sprays. Hehe apparently I spend my life trying to figure out which products you can replace with what.
I would suggest using a shampoo that targets itch. Have you used Head and Shoulders or T-Gel? Usually exzema is only bothersome when itchy, so I would assume that any kind of shampoo that mentions ';flake free'; would be comforting for your little one. Of course it's always best to ask his pediatrician for recommendations since he is so young. Good luck! :)
try the cetaphil cleanser, its totally fragrance free but it does the job of cleansing and its gentle. get it from the drug store.
My son has eczema also. I was (and sometimes till do) wondering about the shampoo I use for his hair. I use Johnson %26amp; Johnson now. But I used to use Aveeno. The doctor, infact, said that wasn't as good as DOVE unscented, hypoallergenic soap. It's marvelous! But I still use Aveeno lotion. Hypo-allergenic isn't always, enough though. You have to make sure it's ALSO moiturizing and unscented. I hope this helped!!!
go to your doctor and ask for aqaunil it is a soap free cleanser for children and I have used it for my baby since he was one month old and then I use aquaphor after the bath it is almost like vasoline and it is amazing for their skin good luck it us a up hill battle though

No comments:

Post a Comment