Monday, July 26, 2010

Conditioning poodles hair, Would baby shampoo AND human conditioner work together?

I hear how human conditioner dries out the dogs skin.


Well, I have some unscented baby lotion I could rub into his skin, then use human conditioner?


He never lets me finish brushing him, though I try to do it gently. Because of his hair turning to tight cords over night.


Is there any other solutions?


He's my dog, I don't have a job, and my parents dislike buying stuff for me, for him.


Thanks.Conditioning poodles hair, Would baby shampoo AND human conditioner work together?
Your dog doesn't need hair conditioning. In fact the opposite - the softer the hair, the quicker it mats up. Do not use any human products. Dog conditioner is unnecessary in most cases also. It changes the coat normal ph, causes breakouts, %26amp; dries out the coat over time. You need to learn how to brush correctly %26amp; sounds like dog needs a haircut. If you want dog in a long clip, it takes work %26amp; time on your part. Slapping on human products %26amp; the wrong products will only make a bigger mess %26amp; can harm your dog in the process.Conditioning poodles hair, Would baby shampoo AND human conditioner work together?
I dont think applying baby lotion to your dogs skin is going to help that situation. Not the best idea as it can make the skin and hair all greasy- and you do not want that!


You can wash your dog and use a dog conditioner on him after you shampoo him, and then wash it off- or you can get a spray on conditioner for dogs to brush him thoroughly afterwards.


Why is your dogs hair turning to cords? Because you arent brushing him or because it is getting too long?


If your dog has such an issue with being brushed- it might be time to get him clipped at a groomers so his coat will be easier to maintain.


Grooming is a very important part of poodle ownership- as their coat needs a heck of a lot of maintenance.
I have to bathe my poodles weekly because of shows, use a good dog shampoo or baby shampoo ( the rinsing is the important thing) inbetween shows they are conditioned with a coconut oil conditioner, again rinsing is important, once dry I groom them using almond oil, dripping it onto the skin and brushing it up the coat, this helps to keep it well conditioned and stops some sun bleaching ( as they all have normal lives, walking, agility, flyball, running and working on the farm) .....The non showing poodles don't get bathed unless really necessary ( 8-12 weekly for clipping) They all are fed on BARF, all have daily fish oil for their coat and skin.
why dont you just use conditioning PET shampoo? Or a leave-inconditioner that is meant for DOG hair?





WHy are you resorting to human products which are designed for the ph balance of human hair/scalp?








I groom my dad's standard poodle.. and I also had a standard for a year when I raised one for Pilot dogs.. I cannot relate because I always trained my dogs to sit still and tolerate grooming until Im done.





There's nothing wrong with keeping your dog in a short cut for the winter if necessary to keep matts under control. I have a HAIRLESS dog and live in Ohio.. if he can haul his nekkid butt outside for a quick pee, your poodle will be fine to go out in a short cut.
Sounds like he needs a haircut. Start babysitting, mowing lawns, washing cars, shoveling snow, etc to buy things for him.





What's going to happen to the dog when you move off to college into a dorm or whatever? He's going to be stuck with people who won't care for him. Maybe it would be best to give him to someone that will care for him.





I have a poodle and poodle/schnauzer mutt and never used conditioners on them. I keep them in short haircuts. That reduces matting and I don't have to brush them that often. Save up your money and buy a pet clippers.





Edit: Why not? Would you rather deal with this instead? It's healthier for the dog to have haircuts every couple of months. That's the ';harsh'; reality of owning Poodles. They need haircuts every couple months.





Edit: Listen, you asked for our opinions. I wasn't assuming. The truth is, when you move off to college, you'll be so busy with college, and I assume with work of some sort, you won't have time for ANYTHING else. That's the harsh truth about college. There's NOTHING offensive in what I said. Then there's the issue of college students being broke. Are you going to have the $$ to care for the dog?





Edit: I live in ND, so I know very well about snow and sub zero temps. Dogs in short haircuts handle this well. It's actually better, as the dirty snow washes out of fur easier in short clips. Chances are they aren't cords. They are mats. Like I said, I own a Poodle and Poodle/Schnauzer mutt. When they get to needing another haircut, I can sometimes pull their curls apart, and the dead fur comes out. They look like cords, but that's not what they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment