Monday, July 26, 2010

Is it safe to bathe a kitten using baby shampoo?

So, my kitten had really bad fleas when we got her from a friend about a month ago. It's been about a week since we bought her a flea collar and put some flea medicine on her so we decided that she was in need of a bath. She's normally a really frisky kitty that thinks she's a dog, seriously!, but after my friend gave her a bath this morning using my 4 month old Son's baby shampoo she's been really weak and tired. She normally doesn't like to be held all that much, except for at night and she's been laying down all day and when you pick her up she just goes really limp. As far as I have seen she hasn't eaten all day either. Did the baby shampoo have some kind of an effect on her or is it something else?Is it safe to bathe a kitten using baby shampoo?
Depending on the age/weight of your kitten, the combination of the flea collar and flea medicine could be too much for her. It could be making her sick. Or the fleas could just be out of control and sucking her dry (literally), loss of blood would make her weak. Baby shampoo should not have hurt her as long as you rinsed it all out. You need to take her to the vet as soon as possible in case she is getting poisoned or anemic.Is it safe to bathe a kitten using baby shampoo?
I've used baby shampoo on my kitten, and he's still going strong, I've not bathed him since I got him though. I'd buy special pet shampoo, that was just all I had at the time, and he was sleeping on my face at that point and he smelled from where I got him.
When i got my cat he had REALLY bad fleas. Use kitten flea shampoo. Baby shampoo will not kill the fleas, but the fleas will be clean and happy. HAPPY FLEAS = MORE FLEAS!!!!! :)
No, human shampoo can cause skin rashes and the ingredients are dangerous for cats. Call your vet or poisin control.
I would check with Poison Control just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment